- 2/3 cup butter
- 5 ozs unsweetened, French chocolate
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sifted flour
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Butter and flour a 9" square baking pan.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in double boiler, over boiling water. When melted, add vanilla and set aside.
3. Beat eggs and salt in mixer. Add sugar and beat at high speed for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is quite white.
4. Add chocolate and butter mixture and beat at low speed, just until mixed. Add flour and combine quickly, until there are no white streaks.
5. Pour batter into baking pan and put in the oven. Immediately turn oven down to 350° and bake for 40 minutes. Note: the normal toothpick test will not work on these brownies, but if you want to try pricking them with a toothpick, it should come out not quite clean. Do not overbake; these brownies should be fudgy.
"Tender at the Bone", Ruth Reicl | Photo © Marta Bartolomei Edmonds