Baked Risotto with Venison Sausage & Mushroom
- 1 package Smokey Ridge Charcuterie venison sausage, poached for 15 min. (available at www.smokeyridgecharcuterie.com)
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 12 ozs Beech, cremini, or portabella mushrooms
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup Andis Mourvédre
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 4 1/2 cups stock (beef, chicken, mushroom, or veggie), warmed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
Preheat oven to 325°F. In a Dutch oven or other large, ovenproof pot with a lid, heat oil and saute sliced sausage over medium-high heat to brown. Remove sausage and set aside.
In the same pot, add onion and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring until onion is soft and mushroom juices have evaporated, 8-10 minutes. You may need to add a little more oil.
Add wine and cook until reduced by half, stirring to release any browned bits on bottom of pan, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in 3 cups of broth, reserving the remaining 1 1/2 cups for later.
Bake for 20 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, reserved sausage meat and remaining 1 1/2 cups broth. Cover, return to oven and bake until rice is tender, 30-35 minutes more. Let sit for 5 minutes uncovered. Sprinkle with parsley and sage and serve.
Smokey Ridge Charcuterie | Photo © Simply Recipes