Flank Steak with Warm Moroccan Spices
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 lbs beef flank steak, fat trimmed
1. Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt, cinnamon, coriander, paprika, sugar, cumin, pepper, and cayenne.
2. Rinse flank steak and pat dry; put in a 1 gallon zip-lock plastic bag. Pour in all but about 3/4 cup of the marinade (save remaining for Grilled Eggplant and Pepper Salad); seal bag and turn to coat meat well. Chill for at least 4 hours and up to 1 day.
3. Lift steak from marinade (discard used marinade) and lay on a well-oiled grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or medium-high heat on a gas grill; close lid on gas grill. Cook steak, turning occasionally, until browned on both sides and still pink in the center, 10-12 minutes total.
4. Transfer steak to a platter or rimmed board and let rest 5 minutes. Then cut across the grain into thin, slanted slices.