Inside-Out Grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 tbsps unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices of bakery Pullman bread (or Foccacia)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb sliced Swiss cheese, preferably Gruyere
- 8 ozs thinly sliced ham
- 2 tbsps Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves (optional)
1. Butter each slice of bread and sprinkle with Parmesan. pressing to help it adhere. Invert the slices onto a work surface, cheese side down.
2. Top 4 of the slices with the Swiss cheese and ham. Mix mustard and preserves (if desired) and spread on the remaining 4 slices.
3. Close the sandwiches and griddle over medium heat, turning until golden crisp on the outside and melted inside, about 3 minutes. Cut in half and serve.
Grace Parisi, Food & Wine Magazine