Kale & Apple Salad with Walnut Dressing
- 2 cups wlanut halves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup champagne vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roasted walnut oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsps nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 bunch curly green kale
- 1 bunch curly red kale
- Dried cranberries
- 1 Fuji apple
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toss walnuts with 1 tablespoon olive oil and spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake until a rich golden brown and very fragrant, about 12 minutes. Let cool slightly, then roughly chop enough walnuts to measure 1/4 cup. Reserve remaining halves.
2. Whirl together remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, walnut oil, mustard, yogurt, and salt in a blender just until smooth. Add chopped walnuts and whirl quickly just to blend (you want the walnuts to stay chunky).
3. Tear kale into bite-sized pieces and discard stems. Toss kale well with dressing in a large bowl. Let sit at least 10 minutes and up to 30, tossing occasionally (this helps soften the kale slightly).
4. Slice apple and add half the slices, along with half the reserved walnut pieces, tossing to coat. Transfer salad to a large platter. Sprinkle with remaining apple slices, dried cranberries, and walnuts.
Sunset Magazine, November 2014