Pumpkin and Sausage Soup
- 2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15oz cans pumpkin puree
- 32oz chicken stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp pear, finely minced
1. Saute sausage in a large stock pot over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add onion and continue to saute, stirring occasionally until sausage is just cooked through and onion becomes clear, 10-15 minutes. Add garlic for the last 5 minutesof cooking time.
2. Carefully remove all but 1 tbsp oil from the pan. Add pumpkin and stock to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cinnamon and bay leaves. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. At this point you can serve or transfer to a crock pot to keep warm until ready to serve. NOTE: If the soup reduces too much, add more chicken stock to thin the broth.